What Is JPEG (JPG)?
JPEG, also known as JPG, is a popular format for storing compressed graphics data. It was created by a group of experts who wanted to achieve maximum image compression without quality loss. JPEG is now recognized as one of the three most popular image formats worldwide.
Some of the main features of the JPEG format:
- The format does not support background transparency.
- When using the format, you may change the quality of the image. So, during compression, the “weight” of the picture decreases because some pixels are combined, and small details are removed.
- The format supports CMYK, 24-bit RGB, and 8-bit grayscale.
- There is built-in Exif support. Due to this, some metadata can be attributed to the image – when the photo was taken, the name of the camera used, the focal length, etc.
- When using aspect ratio, you can compress the image in a 2:1 or 100:1 aspect ratio.
Why Use the Convert to JPEG Tool?
There are several reasons you should convert PDF to JPEG, as well as with other formats: PNG, HEIC, GIF, WebP and BMP. The primary reason is that JPEG allows lossy compression. Therefore, it is possible to significantly reduce the size of the final file, especially when compared with other formats, such as PNG.
The resolution of the final image will indeed be lower but, on most websites, this difference will not be noticeable. Furthermore, an image that has less "weight" loads much faster on your site, which is shown to improve conversion rates, as well as boost search engine rankings.
The JPEG format is a must for those who run blogs, online portfolio sites, etc. This way, you can create a fast and responsive site that will significantly distinguish you from the competition.
Many people use the PNG format on their websites to get higher-quality images. But, with this format, the page load time is significantly increased.
JPEG can also be called a universal format. It is ideal for regular websites, popular social networks like Instagram, and more.
The Main Advantages of the JPEG Format
Converting HEIC to JPEG or other formats to JPEG will allow you to take full advantage of what JPEG offers. The main advantages include:
- the small size of the final file
- fast loading, even with low internet speed
- compatibility with all devices
- when compressed, the image quality does not suffer as much as in the case of other formats.
Small File Size
JPEG images are relatively small compared to other formats. This makes images ideal for sites viewed on a mobile phone or for users with a slow internet connection.
If you want a site that will rank highly in search engine results and also be popular with visitors, give preference to fast-loading images. This will improve the user experience and will allow you to achieve better rankings in search results.
On the other hand, if you're interested in higher image quality and don't care about load speed, you can use different formats. For example, PNG or HEIC files.
Compatible With All Devices
The JPEG format can be called universal. It opens on most devices without any special software. As a result, ready-made images can be quickly downloaded and viewed on a smartphone, tablet, PC, TV, etc. The image is automatically optimized for each specific platform, providing the best display on all devices.
Image Quality Does Not Suffer Much With Compression
Many people are in no hurry to convert their images to JPEG just because they are worried about a significant loss of quality when compressing an image. This is a common misconception. Most often, compression occurs at 10-20%, which is only slightly reflected in the quality of the final image.
Does the JPEG Format Have Any Cons?
Like any format, JPEG does have a few cons, in addition to its advantages. The main ones are:
- image quality is reduced
- once processed, the changes made are irreversible.
Reduced Image Quality
The image quality will be lower when using the JPEG format than when working with other resolutions. The difference in quality is noticeable, but only slightly. You will often not notice any difference when comparing images with the naked eye. This format will only not work when image quality is a top priority.
Changes Made Are Irreversible
The original file loses its quality when you convert PNG to JPEG or convert from another format. The changes made are irreversible and cannot be restored. But this problem is easy to resolve - you just need to duplicate the original image. You can always return to the original file if something goes wrong during processing.
What Formats Does Our Convert to JPEG Tool Work With?
Our Convert to JPEG tool is capable of converting files in several ways:
Convert PDF to JPG
PDF is a cross-platform electronic document format created by Adobe Systems in 1992, using the capabilities of the PostScript programming language. This format is often used to represent printed products in electronic form.
Convert HEIC to JPG
HEIC is an image format used by Apple. This format is excellent for live photos, as it can contain a sequence of images. The format's main advantage is that it uses modern photo compression technologies. As a result, owners of Apple equipment can store twice as many photos in HEIC format while maintaining the same size and quality.
Convert PNG to JPG
PNG is a raster format used for storing visual information. Its main feature is that the image is not compressed and does not lose its quality. For this, the Deflate algorithm is used.
Convert GIF to JPG
GIF is a bitmap image format that allows you to store compressed data without losing quality. There is a limit on the number of colors in the picture - no more than 256 colors. Most often, this format presents images that are accompanied by animation.
Convert BMP to JPG
BMP is a bitmap image storage format created by Microsoft. The resulting files may have different resolutions - .bmp, .dib, and .rle. The format is only suitable for storing single-layer bitmaps.
Convert WebP to JPG
WebP is a file format developed 10 years ago by Google. This format is smaller in size (26 to 35 %) relative to both JPEG, PNG and GIF. Lossless WebP supports transparency.
How to Use the Convert to JPEG Tool
The main advantage of our Convert to JPEG tool is that you can convert all your files free of charge.
Below, we will walk you through the step-by-step instructions for converting images using an example PDF file, so that you can see how to use our tool.
How to Convert PDF to JPG
- Select the "Convert to JPG" tab.
- Drag and drop your file or click "Select Files" in the editor field. You can add several files to the editor at the same time. There are several options for adding files - from a computer's or other device's memory, Google Drive, Google Photos, and Dropbox.
- Select the settings for your final image.
- Click on the "Convert" button.
- Wait for the processing to finish. The time it takes to create the final file will depend on which processing format you choose.
- Save the finished result. The processed file can also be downloaded to a computer or added to Google Photos or Dropbox.
There are several processing options available here:
- Standard quality. Normal file size and fast processing
- Maximum quality. Large file size and fast processing
- Compressed conversion. Standard quality, minimum file size, and slow processing.
Benefits of the Convert Image to JPG Tool
There are many reasons why you should use our tool to convert your images:
- The processing takes place online. It does not take much time, and you will not need to download any additional software to your PC.
- The conversion takes place in high resolution. The original image quality is hardly affected. Our tool will suit you well if you want to get great images.
- The whole processing process is carried out in real time. You can follow the conversion status.
- You will not need to go through the registration process to access our tool. Open the relevant page on our website, add the files you need for conversion, and get the finished result.
- The converted images do not contain watermarks.
- We value user privacy, so we do not store your data on our servers. All documents are deleted immediately after processing. You don’t need to worry that they will fall into the hands of strangers.
- No need to learn complex steps. Processing takes place with just a few mouse clicks. Unlike professional photo editing software, you will not need to know complex settings for conversion. You just need to add a file and select the desired output. Our tool is intuitive and straightforward. You will not have difficulty using it.
Is it Safe to Convert HEIC or Other Images to JPG on Our Site?
Before we convert your file, we create a copy of the original. The original image remains intact on your computer, phone, or tablet. Using the tool is entirely safe. We never modify your original files.
We do not save files on our servers that have already been converted using our service. As a result, you don’t need to worry about the safety of confidential data. No third party will have access to your photos.
What Other Services Are Available on Our Site?
We also have additional tools you can use to edit your photos:
- Add a watermark. A watermark is a great way to protect your images from being stolen when they are published online. The tool is helpful for pictures posted on websites and social networks. An inconspicuous label on the photo will tell everyone who the author of the image is. You can also use the watermark to promote your brand online.
- Photo compression. This tool is also helpful for website owners: the more your published pictures “weigh”, the slower your pages load. The compression can be performed in several formats - high quality, low quality, and custom size. You can choose the processing options that are right for you.
- Cropping photos. When you post a picture, have you noticed that there are extra details or elements in the image that spoil the whole composition? You can quickly fix these issues with our cropping tool. You can also choose to crop the image in a particular shape - circle, square, etc.
- The blurring of faces. This tool will allow you to blur pictures of people in a photo so as to not violate their rights. It's also handy for blurring license plates on photos you post on your social networks.
- Add text to photo. This tool is often used to create eye-catching pictures, postcards, etc. You can choose one of the proposed fonts and adjust the text color, slant, and other parameters.
What Formats Can the Convert to JPEG Tool Work With?
You can use our PDF, PNG, HEIC, GIF, WebP and BMP image manipulation tools. Depending on the selected format, you do not need to make any additional settings. Just upload the necessary files to the editor.
What Quality Will the Image Have After Being Converted to JPEG?
After processing, your image can be high, medium, or low. In the latter case, compression tools are used. This option will suit you if you need to get a file of the minimum size, not paying attention to its final quality.
How Long Does It Take to Convert an Image to JPEG?
The conversion speed will depend on the selected type of processing. You will receive processed files almost instantly when working with high and medium quality.
Can I Use the Convert to JPEG Tool for Free on Your Site?
Yes, you can use our image converter for free. You can process multiple images simultaneously.
Is Your Convert to JPEG Tool Available on Mobile Phones?
Yes, our editor supports mobile devices. Since this is an online tool, you won't need to download anything extra to your device. You can just launch our site through a convenient browser on your smartphone.
Why Might I Need to Convert Image to JPG?
Most often, our tool is used to reduce the size of the resulting file. JPEG images most often have a minimum "weight" and, at the same time, retain good quality. This is an excellent image option for websites when you want to achieve high page load speeds.